If you use best practices and want to be recognized for your efforts, you can seek accreditation from national and international sustainability organizations.
Council for Responsible Sport https://www.councilforresponsiblesport.org/
International Organization for Standardization. Use the ISO 20121 “Event sustainability management systems — Requirements with guidance for use.”https://www.iso.org/standard/54552.html
Athletes for a Fit Planet https://www.afitplanet.com/weblog/resources/
Beyond Sport https://beyondsport.org/
United Nations Climate Change (UNFCCC) Climate Neutral Now Pledge. Organizations that take the pledge commit to:
- Measure and report their greenhouse gas emissions for an agreed-upon period of time.
- Reduce their greenhouse gas emissions as much as possible.
- Offset remaining emissions with UN Certified Emission Reductions (CERs). https://unfccc.int/climate-action/climate-neutral-now/i-am-a-company/organization/climate-neutral-now-pledge
Steps to Take:
- Join EDiSN
- Recruit a consultant (either a company or an individual Master Recycler)
- Check out the Best Practices page to see what your event can do to reduce waste and reduce the carbon footprint
- Do a Waste Audit
- If you come up with a great idea, share it on our blog
- If you are already successfully using best practices and are willing to mentor other event directors, contact us and we’ll post your name on EDiSN Mentorship Page
- If you are willing show others how it’s done; make a video, send it to us (contact us) and we’ll post it on EDiSN Video Page.
- Seek certification from CRS, ISO, etc.